Thursday, September 28, 2006

The Princess' Reign Continues!

So the only party foul from my annual birthday celebration is that I seem to have "misplaced" my little wallet that contains my Driver License, Debit card, and about 1000 receipts - ala a Constanza wallet.

I immediately (after calling the Farmers Market, the Gumbo Pot, the Cat Club and Tom Bergins) canceled my Debit card and on the advice of a friend of mine, called one of the Big Three credit companies to place a "fraud alert" on my account. Apparently with just a Driver License, anyone can open any sort of account. A fraud alert is a 90-day "hold" on your credit account - which means that if any accounts are attempted to be opened in your name, you will be called to verify. The best thing is that the one credit company that I called (Equifax) will call the other two companies and pass along the info. Pretty awesome, right? I'll try and forget that they actually tried to sell me some sort of stupid financial protection blabbity blah. Dude, take a look at my freakin' credit rating and you tell me if I can afford to spend additional money on that! C'mon!

My next step was to make an appointment at the DMV. They actually had an appointment available the next morning at 9:50am...bonus! I showed up at the DMV in Hollywood (the one on Cole, not on Vine) at about 9:35am and filled out my application for a duplicate license. I was given a number and was told to wait...which I did for about three whole minutes. The guy behind the counter was a tattoo-laden latino-descent dude who wore a keyring on his arm that jingled whenever he moved. He keyed in all of my info, moved his head toward the computer screen and looked at me. "Are you wearing a CROWN in your photo?" he asked in disbelief. I said "Yes, and I brought it with me again today, just in case I have to take the picture again." (I didn't bother to correct him -that in fact it was a tiara, not a crown. A crown goes all the way around your head - a tiara doesn't.) He shook his head and said "No, it's cool, you can keep the same photo." He processed my paperwork, I paid my twenty bucks and I was out of there by 9:45...I swear. Ten minutes. In and out. AND I get to keep my crown.

It was a good day. Who saw that coming?

5 Comments:

Blogger Adrienne said...

Why would anyone in Hollywood think a "tiara" in a DL picture is weird?

Now up here in Glendale, maybe.

9:08 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

So, let me see if I have this straight. A crown is for a queen and it covers the circumference of her head and a tiara is for a princess and it does not go all the way around her head. Glad you were able to get in and out of the DMV so quickly and the government is hiring such high quality individuals to handle our personal information.

Love the Costanza comment ("can't stand ya!")

11:23 AM  
Blogger Princess Leah said...

I should know this - but I don't, but I think that it is just a description of the crown/tiara itself - not who wears it. Meaning a queen could wear a tiara and a princess could wear a crown - not unlike the one I wore on my birthday last weekend.

8:40 AM  
Blogger Kings Fan said...

What exactly is your affinity with headgear? Does it stem from several years of wearing braces?

11:29 AM  
Blogger Princess Leah said...

So, Kings Fan...do you want to take this outside? And by "outside," I mean off-blog. You can email me from my profile...

And yes, I did wear braces. For about eight thousand years.

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home