Sunday, April 02, 2006

The Grace Lee Project



I spent the afternoon at the oh-so-musky-smelling Laemmle Fairfax Theater seeing "The Grace Lee Project." It's an excellent documentary about a Korean-American named Grace Lee who a) discovers that her name is one of the most popular among Asian women and b) tries to decide whether or not all Grace Lees are interchangeable by meeting up with many Grace Lees. Serious and funny, and unfortunately for me, contains a lot of hand-held camerawork. I spent the last 20 minutes standing in the foyer, listening to the audio track, fanning myself trying to not throw up. I heart motion sickness.

I had seen something similar in concept a few years ago when UK comedian Dave Gorman went in search of others named Dave Gorman. It started as a bar bet and ended up a stage show, TV show and book. I was intrigued because I actually know a Dave Gorman.

On Dave Gorman's website (the UK comedian one) there is a link to a site called "Your Not Me" which, as Mr. Gorman says: allows you to search the electoral register to find out how many namesakes you have in a badly spelled apostrophe-free UK. I checked and there are only four of me in the UK. Thank god. Maybe one day I'll try and find 'em. But not tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home