Saturday, April 15, 2006

Broooooooooooooooooooooooce!


I had the good fortune last week to attend a listening party for Bruce Springsteen's upcoming album, "We Shall Overcome - The Seeger Sessions."

I found out about the party by accident, online, and sent my email off to the Sony Music email gods, hoping for a response...which I received a few days later. They were having the party at a local Hollywood old school dive called Boardner's. The locale of the event was a bit weird. Nowhere to sit, only standing room, and it took place in the courtyard.

I went by myself, not knowing anyone in LA (who was available) who loves Bruce like I do. I was wallflowering by myself when I was noticed by Debbie, who I'd met many years ago through a LABSFan gathering.

We patiently waited for the event to begin, while eating free food and drinking free drinks. (No problem there.) Eventually, a fetus showed up and explained that we would be seeing a bit of a video that will be included in the DualDisc of the album. It was a "making of" the album. Needless to say, it was all hand-held, therefore transporting me back to the last few days that I've spent outside of the confines of my own home. It was cool (even though I was near puking) and set up the event. For anyone who is interested, some of this footage is viewable online.

The played all but two of the songs on the album. I was skeptical when I first heard months ago that Bruce was doing this concept album...then I saw a picture of the band was was intrigued.

I wish I could say I got a good listen to the album. The venue was not really listening-friendly and most people stood around and chatted. I grabbed a location and sat myself down, trying to take in all that I could. I good a "good enough" listen. The album was definitely different - it almost sounded like a "Springsteen goes to Mardi Gras" feel. Fitting that the tour starts off at Jazz Fest in N'awlins.

A few songs into the event, I noticed an old Sony co-worker of mine, doing the traditional "I wonder if I leave if anyone will notice" boogaloo. So, yes, Gary Cruse, if you're reading this, I know you left before the event was over. You didn't recognize me, but I recognized you.

They handed out postcards during the event...which are rather uneventful, although as a marketing person, I recognize the first use of the phrase IN STORES AND ONLINE. Impressive.
They hande

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home