Sunday, April 22, 2007

So How Does it End?

I know that you're probably on the edge of your seat...wondering how "The Telltale Smoke Detector" ends...

So, I write the blog entry and then settle down for the night. All is quiet. All is good. All, that is, until 4:45AM. Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep. I am at wit's end.

It's too dark to do anything about it right now, so I watch the "Gilmore Girls" episode that aired earlier tonight. By the end of the episode, not only am I wondering how they can craft an entire episode out of the term "Hay Bale Maze," but it's light enough to climb up on the ladder and figure out what the EFF is going on!

Two metallic clomps and I'm on top of the step ladder; my head cocked to one side, listening for the next beep. I use both door jams to balance myself. I wait; I don't have to wait long. Beeeeeeeeeeep.

Curious. It's actually not coming from the hole in the wall (Poe be damned) in the ceiling over the hallway. I step down from the ladder and take two steps into the room attached to the hallway and look up.


I feel like an idiot.


There is ANOTHER smoke detector right there. And THAT is the one that's been giving me all of the problems. I move the ladder, climb back up and attempt to unscrew the beeping beast. It screams at me like I'm hurting it. It won't budge. I'm tempted to just yank the whole thing out of the ceiling, but am already humbled by the call I'm going to have to make to the landlord's brother later today.


I eventually swallow my pride and call him with the "bad news/good news" scenario. He replaces the problem smoke detector that afternoon.


I have my first real night of sleep in a week. And it is sweet.


Here is a visual aid of the problem. #1 is the hole in the wall where I thought the smoke detector was a problem. #2 is the newly replaced smoke detector.


I bet if i were better rested, I'd be more embarrased. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home